Mayra C. Artiles
Mayra Cristina Artiles Fonseca has been working at Estrella, LLC since 2015. Upon joining Estrella, LLC, Mayra has developed an active litigation practice, where she successfully represents clients in commercial and corporate disputes. She also counsels in corporate and commercial matters, including mergers, acquisitions, corporate divisions, general corporate matters, due diligence, corporate governance, corporate financing, intellectual property, and privacy and data protection. Mayra also helped established, and currently leads, our firm’s Business Immigration Practice.
She was recognized for her legal excellence and ranked by Legal 500 as a Rising Star in the Corporate and Commercial Practice area. As part of her commitment with future generations she has also been devoted to advice emerging entrepreneurs in non-profit organizations focused on evolving Puerto Rico’s entrepreneurial ecosystem.
In addition to her work at the firm, she is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Puerto Rico, School of Law, where she teaches international law and transnational business law. Mayra also coaches the Philip C. Jessup Competition Team and co-mentors the Immigration Services and Orientation Pro Bono student program.
Mayra holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, with a major in Marketing, and a Juris Doctor from the University of Puerto Rico (both graduating Magna Cum Laude). She also completed a post-graduate certification in the International and European Legal Studies Program (Cum Laude) from the University of Antwerp in Belgium and a Masters of Law (LL.M.) in International Corporate and Commercial Law (passed with Merits) from King’s College London.
- King’s College London / LL.M. / 2021 / Passed with Merits
- University of Puerto Rico School of Law / JD / 2014/ Magna Cum Laude
- University of Antwerp, Belgium / IELSP / 2013 / Cum Laude
- University of Puerto Rico / BS Business Administration in Marketing / 2010 / Magna Cum Laude
- Certified International Privacy Professional for United States (CIPP/US) by International Association of Privacy Professionals.
- Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico-Member of Immigration Commission
- Federal Bar Association –International Law Section,Young Lawyers Division, Immigration Law Section
- American Bar Association –International Law Section, Young Lawyers Division
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Puerto Rico Chapter Secretary (2017-2019)
- Meritas – Young Lawyer Firm Representative
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Member.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Pro Bono attorney for “Notarios por Puerto Rico” Program, program sponsored by the Puerto Rico Notary Association that provides notary services, advice and prepares legal documents for indigent clients.
- Co-Mentor for Immigration Orientation and Services (SOI) Pro Bono, University of Puerto Rico School of Law
- Completed Primerus Young Lawyers Client Development Bootcamp, Orlando, Florida, March 2016
- Completed Primerus Young Lawyers Client Development Bootcamp, Las Vegas, Nevada, February, 2017.
- Completed Primerus Young Lawyers Client Development Bootcamp, Denver, Colorado, February, 2019.
- Contributor of the Puerto Rico Chapter for “The Legal 500 Comparative Country Guides: Mergers and Acquisitions,” published by The Legal 500 (5th edition, 2021) available here.
- Negotiating in Good Faith: A Civil Law Obligation? Notes on Universal Jurisdiction on the Island Life Might Serve as the Best Entry of Foreign Investment to the United States: Puerto Rico as Tax Haven for Attracting Foreign Investment to the United States, American Bar Association, International Law Section Year in Review 2016
- Occasion of the New FIBGAR Universal Jurisdiction Principles
- Co-editor of Immigration Manual “Conoce tus Derechos” (Know your rights), published by the Immigration Services and Orientation Pro Bono Program, University of Puerto Rico, School of Law / 2015
Honors & Awards:
- Recognized as 2020 Rising Star for Corporate and Commercial law in Legal 500 Puerto Rico Edition.
- Top 100 Oralists in the 2014 Phillip C. Jessup Moot Court Competition
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges, 2014
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements considerations for businesswomen / Women Who Lead Podcast / 2021
- Visas for Victims of Violence / Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico / 2021
- Introduction to Immigration Law / Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico / 2021
- Immigration Benefits and remedies during disasters / University of Puerto Rico School of Law, Pro Bono Program / 2020)
- Visas for Victims of Violence / Ayuda Legal Puerto Rico / 2020
- Business Continuity during COVID-19 / Estrella, LLC Webinar / 2020
- Immigration Law considerations for Accountants / CPA Bar Association / 2020
- Avoiding Crisis in the digital Age / Women Who Lead Summit / 2020
- Basic introduction to Immigration Law for attorneys / Pontifical Catholic University, School of Law / 2017.
- Basic International Law / University of Puerto Rico, School of Law / 2015.
- Right to Dignity / Puerto Rico Judicial Branch Legal Access Program / 2015.
- Ms. Artiles is an adjunct professor at the University of Puerto Rico, where she continuously participates in continuing legal education, as well as seminars and lectures for law students concerning international law and U.S. immigration law.
- Co-counsel for buyers in a multimillion-dollar international transaction involving the purchase of certain assets of major retailer from the Bankruptcy Court and advise Client on the corporate financing and the corporate reorganization of the transaction.
- Advised Client to undertake a due diligence and restructuring exercise for an oil and gas conglomerate, to establish a separate infrastructure division comprising the Group’s storage and terminals.
- Provided representation and assisted with preparation and processing of visas for investors and employers brining employees to the U.S.
- Counsel for buyers in sale of assets for leading ticketing services in Puerto Rico.
- Counsel for sellers in a multimillion-dollar international transaction involving the sale of stocks to a foreign conglomerate of entities.
- Represented several clients in key due diligence proceedings for the acquisition and/or expansion of their operations in and outside Puerto Rico.
- Structure complex statutory merger agreements and reorganizations for prominent companies organized or doing business in Puerto Rico.
- Represented several clients in key corporate financing transactions involving local and foreign financial institutions and/or banks.
- Currently assisting Clients with procedures under Act 60-2019, also known as the Incentives Code of Puerto Rico. This Act codifies incentives granted for diverse purposes throughout decades with the aim to foster economic development more effectively.
- Serves in team of lawyers advising oil and gas company in corporate and commercial matters for the Americas.
- Serves as counsel for corporate and commercial matters for renewable energy clients.
- Registered dozens of trademarks registration in USPTO and PRTO.
- Represented corporate and commercial clients in trade secrets and corporate law disputes.
- Represented retail clients in premises liabilities litigations and consumer affairs administrative proceedings.