Mayra C. Artiles
Mayra Cristina Artiles Fonseca obtained a B.S. in Business Administration (Magna Cum Laude) with a major in Marketing in 2010 and a Juris Doctor (Magna Cum Laude) in 2014 from the University of Puerto Rico. In 2013, she also obtained a certification from the International and European Legal Studies Program (Cum Laude) from the University of Antwerp in Belgium.
In 2012, while in Law School, she participated in our Summer Associates Program. She worked in the founding Editorial Council of the International Law Publication, Pangea. In 2012 and 2014 she represented the University of Puerto Rico in the international rounds of the Phillip C. Jessup Moot Court Competition, held in Washington D.C. On her last year, she practiced in the Law School’s Immigration Law Clinic. Upon taking the bar, she worked as a litigation associate in the law firm of Guzmán & Rodríguez-López until joining our firm in 2015.
She is also an Adjunct Professor at the University of Puerto Rico, School of Law, where she teaches a practice course in international law litigation, coaching the Phillip C. Jessup Competition Team and co-mentors the Immigration Services and Orientation Pro Bono student program.
Upon joining Estrella, LLC, Mayra has developed an active litigation practice, where she represents Retail and Energy industry clients. She also counsels in corporate and commercial matters, including Business Immigration. Mayra leads our Business Immigration Practice.
- University of Puerto Rico School of Law / JD / 2014/ Magna Cum Laude
- University of Antwerp, Belgium / IELSP / 2013 / Cum Laude
- University of Puerto Rico / BS Business Administration in Marketing / 2010 / Magna Cum Laude
- Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico- Member of Immigration Commission
- Federal Bar Association – International Law Section, Young Lawyers Division, Immigration Law Section
- American Bar Association – International Law Section, Young Lawyers Division
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Puerto Rico Chapter Secretary
Professional & Community Involvement
- Co-Mentor for Immigration Orientation and Services (SOI) Pro Bono, University of Puerto Rico School of Law
- Completed Primerus Young Lawyers Client Development Bootcamp, Orlando, Florida, March 2016
- Completed Primerus Young Lawyers Client Development Bootcamp, Las Vegas, Nevada, February, 2017.
- Negotiating in Good Faith: A Civil Law Obligation?, available here
- Notes on Universal Jurisdiction on the Occasion of the New FIBGAR Universal Jurisdiction Principles, available here
- Island Life Might Serve as the Best Entry of Foreign Investment to the United States: Puerto Rico as Tax Haven for Attracting Foreign Investment to the United States, American Bar Association, International Law Section Year in Review 2016, available here (https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/international_law/_YIR723.authcheckdam.pdf)
- Co-editor of Immigration Manual “Conoce tus Derechos” (Know your rights), published by the Immigration Services and Orientation Pro Bono Program, University of Puerto Rico, School of Law / 2015
Honors & Awards:
- Top 100 Oralists in the 2014 Phillip C. Jessup Moot Court Competition
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges, 2014
- Basic introduction to Immigration Law for attorneys/ Pontifical Catholic University, School of Law/ 2017.
- Basic International Law/University of Puerto Rico, School of Law/ 2015.
- Right to Dignity/Puerto Rico Judicial Branch Legal Access Program/2015.
- Ms. Artiles is an adjunct professor at the University of Puerto Rico, where she continuously participates in seminars and lectures for law students concerning international law and U.S. immigration law.
- Serves in team of lawyers advising oil and gas company in corporate and commercial matters for the Americas.
- Serves as counsel for corporate and commercial matters for renewable energy clients.
- Registered dozens of trademarks registration in USPTO and PRTO.
- Represented retail clients in premises liabilities litigations and consumer affairs administrative proceedings.