Alberto Estrella is a Member of the firm and its Managing Member. Since Alberto joined the firm in 1994, he has been involved in hundreds of trials and earned a reputation as a distinguished and sought-after trial lawyer. This experience has led him to become a trusted advisor to business leader on a diverse variety of matters, including commercial and contract disputes, complex litigation, premises liability and insurance defense, antitrust and business regulation, federal laws and litigation, data privacy, trademarks and copyrights, administrative law, health law, corporate law, franchise law and many other areas in the firm.
- George Washington University School of Law/J.D./1994/With Honors
- The Pennsylvania State University/B.A./1991
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association. Former member of local chapter Board of Directors.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Barrister, Order of Justitia
- Member, Hispanic Bar Association. Formed member of the Supreme Court Committee, a committee formed to promote the appointment of a Hispanic to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- FINRA certified neutral securities arbitrator
- World Bank’s Doing Business Reports (a comprehensive annual report that rates the competitiveness of hundreds of countries)/Collaborator
- Chairman, Board of Trustees of NUC University/2017-current
- Member, Guayacán Endowment Fund/2018-current
- Member, Board of Director, Enactus Puerto Rico/2020-current
- Member, Best Lawyers Advisory Board/2013-current
- Member, Advisory Board, Women Who Lead (Frances Rios Enterprises)/2017-current
- Member, Advisory Board, GWU Law School Alumni Association/2012-15
Honors & Awards
- Leading Individual, Legal 500 in Puerto Rico (Dispute Resolution, Corporate & Commercial)/2021-2022
- Listed in Best Lawyers for Litigation, Administrative Law, Corporate and M&A, Professional Malpractice, Appellate Practice & Franchise Law/2014-2022
- Best Lawyers Franchise Law “Lawyer of the Year”/2020
- Best Lawyers Appellate “Lawyer of the Year”/2019
- Best Lawyers Administrative Law “Lawyer of the Year”/2014
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Selected as one of Caribbean Business’ “40 Under 40″/2004
- “Regulatory Guinea Pigs”/Law Review, Inter-American University School of Law/1996
- Legal Tidbits/Firm’s own publication
- Puerto Rico CPA Society IX Cyber Forum, sponsored by AIG/2020
- “How Puerto Rico Prepared for Virtual Work During COVID-19… 40 Months in Advance”/Florida Lawyers Mutual Insurance Co./2020
- Cybersecurity in Retail/2019 Puerto Rico Retail Forum/ACDET/2019
- Cybersecurity Trends/Primerus Latin America & Caribbean Client Seminar/Buenos Aires/2018
- Cybersecurity Liability/Puerto Rico Association of Independent Claims Adjusters/2015 & 2016
- Professional Liability/New York Chiropractic Association & Puerto Rico Chiropractic Association/2012
- Professional Liability/Puerto Rico Chiropractic Association/annually since 2008
- New Rules of Evidence & Civil Procedure/Puerto Rico Association of Independent Adjusters/2010
- Antitrust Considerations in the Airline Industry/Executive Symposium, Copa Airlines, Panama/2010
- Representing Puerto Rico’s largest energy company in lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of law restricting company’s right to use its property.
- Representing Fortune 50 retail company in class action where competitor claims that retailer took advantage of COVID-19 restrictions.
- Representing hospital network in data breach class action.
- Serve as lead counsel for leading energy industry company in all litigation and commercial matters in Puerto Rico.
- Serve as external general counsel to many large and small clients of the firm.
- Represented Chevron in class action filed by consumer class consisting of nearly 2 million consumers of gasoline. Potential exposure exceeded $100M. The case was settled for a fraction, with no monetary payout to the class. The gasoline wholesaler who remained in the lawsuit tried the case and lost. They are currently facing a judgment in excess of $80M.
- Represented Texaco in a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of an order banning the use of incentive programs in the wholesale marketing of gasoline in Puerto Rico. As a result of the litigation, the Secretary of Justice formally admitted that she did not have authority to issue such an order and it was lifted.
- Created and maintained the franchise documents for Texaco’s convenience store franchise, Star Mart.
- Represented Chevron in the sale of its operations in Puerto Rico. Now representing the purchaser, Puma Energy.
- Successfully argued before the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico the latest case dealing with obstructions on the sales floor of a retail facility. Nignora Ramos v. Sam’s Club.
- Secured the dismissal of a product liability claim against Wal-Mart related to allegations that the company was importing defective footwear from China. Omayra Ortiz v. Wal-Mart.
- Obtained the summary dismissal of more than 1,000 administrative consumer complaints that a retail client faced due to a print ad error, thus avoiding potential multi-million dollar exposure.
- Successfully defended Wal-Mart in preliminary injunction action filed by the Municipality of Cayey in its attempt to prevent the opening of the Cayey Supercenter. The injunction was denied after an evidentiary hearing, and the company’s first Supercenter in Puerto Rico was opened as scheduled.
- Represented retail clients in dozens of investigations initiated by multiple agencies, such as the Department of Justice, the Department of Consumer Affairs, the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Health and the Department of Labor.
Professional & Community Involvement
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Puerto Rico Program/Faculty Member/2014
- San Juan Rotary Presided Speakers Committee/Member/2011-2013
- Enactus (formerly Students In Free Enterprise) National Competition/Finals Judge
- Puerto Rico Chamber of Commerce Retailers Committee/President/2010-13 & 2014-2016
- Member & Advisor, Puerto Rico Retail Association (ACDET)
- Founding Member, Aurora Angel Network