Yasthel Gonzalez is a Member of Estrella, LLC and has been part of the team since 2005. Yasthel has specialized in a client focused approach in various practice areas, including litigation, all areas of labor & employment, commercial litigation, administrative law and premises liability defense.
She has successfully represented corporate clients securing favorable outcomes at hearings, trials and appeals before state and federal courts, as well as administrative agencies. Yasthel has handled several cases with large exposure. Because of her experience and and leadership skills, the Firm’s Executive Committee appointed her Litigation Practice Leader in 2019.
Yasthel is one of our leaders for the firm’s employment practice group and advises corporate clients in Human Resources topics, including disciplinary actions, hiring and termination procedures. She also has expertise in counseling corporate clients in areas such as harassment, reasonable accommodation and leaves of absence. She frequently conducts training programs, seminars for all levels of management in various industries and draft policies and employment related documents for our clients.
She was recognized for her legal excellence by Best Lawyers, Puerto Rico in the category of Labor and Employment Law. And ranked by Legal 500 as a Next Generation Partner in the areas of Litigation and Labor & Employment. As part of her compromise with future generations Yasthel has been committed to advice emerging entrepreneurs in non-profit organizations focused in evolving Puerto Rico’s entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Yasthel holds a Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences and Labor Relations and a Juris Doctor from the University of Puerto Rico, graduating Magna Cum Laude at the top of her class. She also has a Masters of Law (LLM) from the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law.
- Northwestern University School of Law/LL.M/2011/Honors
- University of Puerto Rico School of Law/J.D./2005/Magna Cum Laude
- University of Puerto Rico/B.A./2001/Magna Cum Laude
- Puerto Rico Bar
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Legal Tidbits/Firm’s own publication
- In 2018 successfully handled premises liability case for national big box retailer with potential exposed of $7M.
- Participated in an appeal to overturn a million dollar judgment against a Health Insurance Company.
- Handled case for plaintiff group of professionals in federal court, securing million dollar settlement for plaintiffs.
- Successfully dismissed EEOC matter where charging party was claiming that large retail discriminated against him him based on a mental impairment.
- Dismissed a labor and employment case after a trial, where employee tampered attendance records.
- Obtained a dismissal by summary judgment after an employee with a clean disciplinary record was dismissed after drinking alcohol during her lunch break.
- Secured the dismissal of a case by summary judgment where an employee with a clean disciplinary record was dismissed after a fight.
- Participated in a federal case where a favorable summary judgment was obtained where a commercial agreement was challenged because of an equitable remedy doctrine.
- Represented a Mall Management Company in a tort action with potential exposure exceeding $250k. The case was dismissed by summary judgment after arguing that the mall had no responsibility according to Jose Ramos Rosado v. Wal-Mart doctrine regarding commercial establishment’s responsibility towards visitors.
- Consultant for firm’s HR consulting division. Counseled employers regarding personnel policies, wage and hours compliance, hiring, disciplining and firing employees.
- Successfully represented local and stateside employers in wrongful dismissal, retaliation and discrimination matters.
- Drafted employment agreements, employee handbooks and operating procedures for local restaurant business.
- Obtained direct verdict in a tort action where plaintiff claimed $125,000 in damages, alleging that a utility cap was a dangerous condition and did not comply with state and federal ADA regulations.
- Successfully defended a trip and fall case for large retail client. After two days of trial, the case was dismissed.
- Represented retail clients in investigations initiated by the Department of Consumer Affairs.
Professional & Community Involvement
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Puerto Rico Program/Participant/2014