Arturo V. Bauermeister (Of Counsel)
With over a decade of experience, Arturo V. Bauermeister focuses his practive on a broad array of federal civil litigation, including commercial and insurance, tort and product liability, bankruptcy, employment law, and First Amendment, while also handling arbitrations and regularly appearing before Puerto Rico courts and government agencies. As a trusted legal consultant, Arturo’s practice focuses on corporate counseling involving compliance, distribution, licensing, and franchising. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), he devotes a considerable portion of his practice to advising companies on complex information-security and privacy issues. Before joining the firm as Of Counsel, Arturo was a partner at another mid-sized firm in San Juan. Arturo, who was a member of his school’s law review, clerked for the late Honorable Salvador E. Casellas of the U.S. District Court for the District Court of Puerto Rico.
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico School of Law, Cum Laude (2010)
- Villanova University, BA (2007)
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Member, Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
- Member, Scribes – The American Society of Legal Writers
- Member, Puerto Rico Chamber of Commerce
- Director, Creator Academy Inc.
- Secretary of the Board, Fondo de Becas Julita Inc.
Honors & Awards
- Award for Best Student Publication
- Ciberataques en el Gobierno: A implementar cambios para robustecer la seguridad (Microjuris, February 2019).
- The 2015 Amendment to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 1 Has Some Bite, The Federal Lawyer (September 2018).
- Are Rule 12(b)(6) motions still appropriate mechanisms for enforcing forum-selection clauses?, The Federal Lawyer (December 2015).
- Recent Trends in Judicial Interpretation in a Post-Iqbal World, From the Bar, 50th Issue (2013).
- A una década del destierro de res ipsa loquitur en Puerto Rico, 44 Rev. Jurídica U. Inter. R. 351 (2010).
- Arturo’s passion for the First Amendment has rewarded him with speaking and writing invitations, including several from the Judiciary Committee of the Puerto Rico House of Representatives.
- Speaker on Cybersecurity for Healthcare at the Hospital de la Concepcion’s 2019 Medical Convention.
- Represented Puerto Rico’s largest insurance companies in commercial-litigation and employment disputes.
- Representing local business in data breach response.
- Serve as external general counsel and privacy security officer to clients.
- Secured the dismissal of product-liability claims. White v. Maximo Solar Industries, 2020 WL 698720, at *1 (D.P.R. Feb. 11, 2020).
- Successfully defended the speaker of the Puerto Rico House of Representative in a preliminary injunction First Amendment action, including securing the eventual dismissal of the suit.
- Represented retail clients in investigations initiated by government agencies.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Each year, Arturo volunteers as a mock judge for the Estrella Trial Advocacy Competition, co-hosted by the George Washington University Law School.