Yasthel Gonzalez joined the firm in 2005. Since then, she has been actively engaged in litigation, including tort defense litigation for retail clients, labor and employment, commercial litigation and administrative law. She is part of the firm’s employment practice and advises clients on a diverse variety of employment matters including disciplinary actions, termination and policy implementation. She took a sabbatical in 2010 to pursue a LLM at Northwestern University School of Law and upon her return in 2011 has been actively engaged in employment litigation in state court and administrative agencies.
- Northwestern University School of Law/LL.M/2011/Honors
- University of Puerto Rico School of Law/J.D./2005/Magna Cum Laude
- University of Puerto Rico/B.A./2001/Magna Cum Laude
- Colegio de Abogados de Puerto Rico
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Legal Tidbits/Firm’s own publication
- Represented a Mall Management Company in a tort action with potential exposure exceeding $250k. The case was dismissed by summary judgment after arguing that the mall had no responsibility according to Jose Ramos Rosado v. Wal-Mart doctrine regarding commercial establishment’s responsibility towards visitors.
- Consultant for firm’s HR consulting division. Counseled employers regarding personnel policies, wage and hours compliance, hiring, disciplining and firing employees.
- Successfully represented local and stateside employers in wrongful dismissal, retaliation and discrimination matters.
- Drafted employment agreements, employee handbooks and operating procedures for local restaurant business.
- Obtained direct verdict in a tort action where plaintiff claimed $125,000 in damages, alleging an utility cap was a dangerous condition and did not comply with state and federal ADA regulations.
- Successfully defended a trip and fall case for large retail client. After two days of trial, the case was dismissed.
- Represented retail clients in investigations initiated by the Department of Consumer Affairs.
Professional & Community Involvement
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) Puerto Rico Program/Participant/2014