Pedro Barceló (Of Counsel)
Pedro Barceló is Of Counsel to Estrella, LLC and our former Director of our Commercial and Corporate Practice. He joined the firm in 2003 and, during the first years of his career, he was mainly involved in commercial and tort defense litigation, with a successful appellate practice of three published Puerto Rico Supreme Court cases. Further into his career he became more involved in the corporate law and transactional fields. While in Chicago in 2011, Pedro practiced in the City of Chicago’s Department of Law, Aviation, Environmental, Regulation and Contracts Divisions, focusing in procurements and transactional matters. Currently, Pedro assists the firm with complex transactions and counsels clients on corporate law, M&A, tax incentives laws, renewable energy, secured transactions, IP, blue sky laws and entrepreneurship laws.
- Northwestern University School of Law/LL.M/K/2011
- Kellogg School of Management/Certificate in Business Administration/2011
- University of Puerto Rico School of Law/J.D./2003
- University of Puerto Rico/B.A., European History & Philosophy/1999/Magna Cum Laude
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Institute of Trial Advocates (NITA)
- Successful Entrepreneurs Consult Business Counsel to Avoid Start-Up Pitfalls, Caribbean Business, Legal Eagles issue 2012.
- Guía de Buenas Prácticas para la Protección Internacional de Marcas/Expo Puerto Rico/2013.
- La Compra en el Extranjero de Productos y Servicios de Puerto Rico/Expo Puerto Rico/2013.
- Fiduciary Duties of Corporate Directors & Officers/Enactus Puerto Rico/2012.
- Panamá Engineering Matchmaking/Tax Incentives for the Export of Professional Services/2012.
- Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE)/Entrepreneurship in Puerto Rico/2012.
- Atrévete con Vicky Alberty/Radio Program Interview on Corporations and LLCs/2012.
- Human Resource Managers Association/Surveillance in the Workplace/2009.
- Counsel for seller in a multimillion dollar international M&A transaction involving the assignment of LLC membership interest to public Big Oil Company.
- Structure complex statutory merger agreement and counsel for seller in the sale of a renowned food distributor in Puerto Rico.
- Represent client s in the application and process as to of Law 73-2008 and Law 20-2012 tax incentives laws.
- Structure and counsel for buyer in complex purchase of assets acquisition of a local fast food franchise corporation.
- Multimillion dollar senior secured revolving and term loan facility for regional addiction rehabilitation services group.
- Counsel international Airline in process of becoming primary signatory to San Juan Airport Use Agreement.
- Structure cross border PMSI transaction involving a commercial loan agreement with food manufacturer international firm.
- Counsel for U.S. renewable energy corporation on local tax renewable energy tax incentive laws, section 1603 cash grants, structuring SPPA and the multimillion dollar contribution JV Agreement.
- Counsel local renewable energy company on section 1603 cash grants incentives, RECs laws, local Law No. 83 renewable energy tax incentives and Green Energy Fund (GEF) regulations.
- Counsel for several BOD on fiduciary duties and on IRC 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporations’ compliance issues.
- Local counsel for US Retailer in multimillion dollar bridge credit facility.
- Counsel for US Private Equity firm on local applicable laws and regulations pertaining to investment activity in the Island and assisted in their local set-up.
- Structure and counsel local furniture manufacturer and retailer in JV Agreement and branch set up in the Florida.
- Represent local factor in multiparty dispute on priority of perfected secured interests involving secured debt.
- Structure and counsel U.S. manufacturer on complex agency and sales rep contract and on branch set-up in the Dominican Republic.
- Structure and counsel local manufacturer in cross-border JV and branch set up in the Dominican Republic.
- Secure 8-year municipal tax incentive decree for a U.S. retailer on municipal excise tax, personal property tax and construction tax.
- Counsel to authors and musicians as to various matters including, licenses, production deals, 360 agreements and copyrights.
- Amieiro González v. Pinnacle Real Estate Group, PSC., 2008 T.S.P.R. 52, 2008 WL 864702 – Puerto Rico Supreme Court case affirming the Court of Appeals and granting co-defendants’ motion for dismissal based on the Department of Consumer Affairs’ lack of jurisdiction and lack of delegated powers to adjudicate claims filed by home buyers against sellers pursuant to the Puerto Rico’s Real Estate Law.
- Ramos Rosado v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 165 D.P.R. 510 (2005); 2005 WL 2150632 – Puerto Rico Supreme Court case which reiterated the applicable case law standard for commercial establishments’ responsibility on premises liability cases.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Puerto Rico District Export Council (Candidate) / 2013
- Students in Free Enterprise (now Enactus)/Sub-Secretary of BOD/2012
- Puerto Rico Chamber of Commerce/Member/2011
- Advocates of Viejo San Juan/Trustee/2009-2010