Paul Hammer leads the Firm’s Reorganization/Bankruptcy Practice. Paul provides clients with multidisciplinary solutions that draw on his combined experience in reorganization, corporate governance, and litigation. Paul’s reorganization practice focuses on reorganizing troubled companies to benefit their shareholders, investors and creditors. His expertise extends to a myriad of transactions and work-outs occurring both inside and outside of bankruptcy. The governance aspect of his practice is targeted at keeping healthy companies prosperous and growing, and saving distressed companies, while protecting directors and officers with cutting edge best practices.
Through implementing his unique brand of innovative and cost-effective solutions, Paul is repeatedly retained to solve momentous problems. He has participated in some of the largest reorganizations which have affected the Caribbean, including those of Caribbean Petroleum Company (Capeco), Puerto Del Rey, Berwind Realty, and Autos Vega, Inc. He is currently involved in several complex and high-profile engagements related to the Puerto Rico Oversight Management and Economic Stability Act (“PROMESA”).
Paul has been recognized by his clients and peers for excellence as one of Puerto Rico’s top insolvency experts. He is the only insolvency expert in Puerto Rico endorsed by Primerus, a leading global network of boutique law firms. Paul has also been recognized as a leading insolvency lawyer by Best Lawyers®, Puerto Rico Edition. Additionally, in 2016, he was inducted into Caribbean Business’s prestigious Top 40 Under 40.
Paul teaches Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses in the area of reorganization/bankruptcy at the University of Puerto Rico School of Law. His published works have been featured in Harvard and University of Pennsylvania legal journals.
Prior to joining the firm, Paul, who is fluent in Spanish, acquired significant clerking experience during tenors with the United States District Court – Eastern District of Louisiana and the United States Bankruptcy Court – District of Puerto Rico. He also practiced at a major Gulf Coast firm in the areas of bankruptcy, insolvency and litigation.
- Loyola New Orleans College of Law/J.D./Summa Cum Laude/2006
- University of Louisiana, Lafayette/B.S., Management & Accounting/Magna Cum Laude/2002
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society
- Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA) – Puerto Rico Chapter
- Puerto Rico Bankruptcy Bar
- Texas and Louisiana Bar Associations
Honors & Awards
- Selected as one of Caribbean Business’s 2016 ’”Top 40 Under 40”
- Only Reorganization Expert in Puerto Rico Recognized by Primerus, the world’s top network of boutique law firms
- Recognized as a leading insolvency lawyer by Best Lawyers®, 2018 Puerto Rico Edition (1 of 3 in Puerto Rico)
- American Bankruptcy Institute’s Top 40 Under 40, 2017 (reached final 60 from nationwide pool)
- Presiding Judge, Estrella Trial Advocacy Competition, 2014-Present
- Recipient of Loyola’s A.P. Tureaud Full Merit Scholarship
- Thomas Tang Moot Court National Team Oralist
- Alfred Bonomo Scholar, Published Legal Journal Works
- Gillis Long Poverty Center, Recognition for Pro Bono Services Provided to Hurricane Katrina Victims
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society, Lifetime Inductee
- B.I. Moody School of Business, Outstanding Graduate Finalist
- “Strategic Purchase of Distressed Assets in Bankruptcy”, Caribbean Business 12/1/2014.
- “New Bill Entails Reorganization Process for Public Puerto Rican Corporations”, Caribbean Business 7/1/2014.
- “Chapter 11 bankruptcy: Protecting your business during tough times”, Caribbean Business 5/1/2014.
- “The Katrina Fund: Repairing Breaches in Gulf Coast Insurance Levees,” 43 Harvard Journal on Legislation 329 (2006)
- “Unconscious Classicism: Entity Equality for Sole Proprietorships,” 11 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law (2009)
- Invited Contributor to Annual Insolvency Report, published by World Bank and International Finance Corporation
- “Privilege and Expert Discovery in Bankruptcy Adversary Proceedings”, Paradigm Fall 2015 Edition
- “Turnaround and Restructuring in Puerto Rico’s Current Economic Climate”, Finance Monthly, March 2016
- Certified by the Puerto Rico Supreme Court to teach Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”) Seminars covering wide array of topics in Bankruptcy law in regards to debtors, creditors, and other interested parties, Mr. Hammer regularly gives seminars to students, attorneys and accountants.
Recent Representative Experience
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing all Bankruptcy-related matters for the largest title insurance company in Puerto Rico.
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing all Bankruptcy-related matters for Puerto Rico’s fastest growing renewable energy company.
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing all Bankruptcy-related matters in Puerto Rico for major Stateside factoring services financial entity.
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing all Bankruptcy-related matters for the largest oil and gas company in Puerto Rico.
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing PROMESA-related matters for several of the Commonwealth’s critical vendors and suppliers.
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing PROMESA-related matters for one of the Commonwealth’s largest municipalities.
- Achieved dismissal of Automatic Stay violation claims in complex, two-week trial of Adversary Proceeding. Empresas Martinez Corp. v. PC Puerto Rico, LLC, Adv. Pro. 11-00178 (D. P.R. 2012).
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of the largest retail management and point of sales systems provider in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean: In Re: Inversiones POS, Inc. (Windsor Systems Group),16-07834 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2016).
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of top Condado-area restaurant: In Re: Oceanfront Hospitality Group, Inc.,17-05539 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2017).
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of health club: In Re: Exodus Fitness, Inc.,17-03541 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2017)
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of leading legal rectification services provider. In Re: Legal Credit Solutions, Inc., 16-03685 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2016).
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of prominent Puerto Rico jeweler: In Re: Joyeria Venecia, Inc.,15-09024 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2015).
- Lead counsel in achieving confirmation of Chapter 11 Reorganization Plan of Puerto Rico health care provider: In Re: Clinica Quiropractica de Ponce, Inc.,14-05018 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2014).
- Lead counsel in achieving confirmation of Reorganization Plan of well-known chiropractor: In Re: Dr. Joseph Redondo,16-06981 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2016).