Paul Hammer leads the Firm’s Financial Reorganization/Bankruptcy Practice. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hammer, who is fluent in Spanish, acquired significant clerking experience during tenors with United States District Court – Eastern District of Louisiana and United States Bankruptcy Court – District of Puerto Rico.
Mr. Hammer has distinguished himself as an outstanding business consultant, negotiator and litigator with a specialization in both the bankruptcy and federal forum. Always focused on exceeding client expectations, he has served the legal needs of hundreds of business and individuals in Puerto Rico and abroad for a decade through implementing his unique brand of innovative and cost-effective solutions.
Mr. Hammer has vast experience in all aspects of Corporate Bankruptcies, representing creditors, debtors, and interested parties, and all other Bankruptcy related litigation, collections, and foreclosures. He has participated in some of the largest bankruptcy cases in the island, including the reorganizations of Puerto Del Rey, Berwind Realty, and Autos Vega, Inc. His financial reorganization expertise also extends to a myriad of transactions occurring outside of bankruptcy, wherein he has played a key role in closing major multi-million dollar commercial real estate deals.
Mr. Hammer also provides troubled debt restructuring and interim financial management consulting services to corporations and individuals alike. He has been recognized by his clients and peers for excellence as one of Puerto Rico’s top restructuring experts. He is the only restructuring expert in Puerto Rico endorsed by Primerus, a leading global network of boutique law firms. Additionally, in 2016 he was inducted into Caribbean Business’s prestigious Top 40 Under 40.
- Loyola New Orleans College of Law/J.D./Summa Cum Laude/2006
- University of Louisiana, Lafayette/B.S., Management & Accounting/Magna Cum Laude/2002
- Puerto Rico Federal Bar Association
- Puerto Rico Bankruptcy Bar
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society
- Louisiana Bar Association/Minority Lawyers Chapter
- Texas Bar Association
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of Loyola’s A.P. Tureaud Full Merit Scholarship
- Thomas Tang Moot Court National Team Oralist
- Alfred Bonomo Scholar, Published Legal Journal Works
- Gillis Long Poverty Center, Recognition for Pro Bono Services Provided to Hurricane Katrina Victims
- Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society, Lifetime Inductee
- B.I. Moody School of Business, Outstanding Graduate Finalist
- Caribbean Business’s 2016 Top 40 Under 40
- Primerus – Only Restructuring Expert in Puerto Rico
- “Renewable Energy: Puerto Rico’s New Frontier”, Caribbean Business 1/1/2015.
- “Strategic Purchase of Distressed Assets in Bankruptcy”, Caribbean Business 12/1/2014.
- “New Bill Entails Reorganization Process for Public Puerto Rican Corporations”, Caribbean Business 7/1/2014.
- “Chapter 11 bankruptcy: Protecting your business during tough time”, Caribbean Business 5/1/2014.
- “Chapter 11 bankruptcy: Protecting your business during tough time”, Caribbean Business 5/1/2014, page 4.
- “The Katrina Fund: Repairing Breaches in Gulf Coast Insurance Levees,” 43 Harvard Journal on Legislation 329 (2006)
- “Unconscious Classicism: Entity Equality for Sole Proprietorships,” 11 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law (2009)
- Invited Contributor to Annual Insolvency Report, published by World Bank and International Finance Corporation
- “Privilege and Expert Discovery in Bankruptcy Adversary Proceedings”, Paradigm Fall 2015 Edition
- “Turnaround and Restructuring in Puerto Rico’s Current Economic Climate”, Finance Monthly, March 2016
- Certified by the Puerto Rico Supreme Court to teach Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”) Seminars covering wide array of topics in Bankruptcy law in regards to debtors, creditors, and other interested parties, Mr. Hammer regularly gives seminars to students, attorneys and accountants.
Recent Representative Experience
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing Puerto Rico Bankruptcy-related matters for the nation’s largest title insurance company.
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of the largest retail management and point of sales systems provider in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean: In Re: Inversiones POS 452 Corporation, 16-07834 (Bank. D. P.R. 2016)
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of top Puerto Rico credit rectification services provider: In Re: Legal Credit Solutions, Inc., 16-03586 (Bank. D. P.R. 2016)
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of infectionlogist medical practitioner: In Re: Wanda I. Torres Lopez, 16-04524 (Bank. D. P.R. 2016)
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of prominent Puerto Rico jeweler: In Re: Joyeria Venecia, Inc.,15-09024 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2015).
- Lead counsel in Chapter 11 reorganization of leading Caribbean jewelry trader: In Re: Fantasy Jewelry Trading, Inc.,15-09021 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2015).
- Lead counsel in achieving confirmation of Chapter 11 Reorganization Plan of Puerto Rico health care provider: In Re: Clinica Quiropractica de Ponce, Inc.,14-05018 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2014).
- Lead counsel in achieving confirmation of Reorganization Plan of well-known Island photo studio: In Re: GDC Studios,15-03617 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2015).
- Lead counsel in achieving confirmation of Reorganization Plan of high net-worth international glass consultant: In Re: Claudio Reck,14-06578 (Bankr. D. P.R. 2014).
- Achieved dismissal of Automatic Stay violation claims in complex Adversary Proceeding trial lasting two weeks. Empresas Martinez Corp. v. PC Puerto Rico, LLC, Adv. Pro. 11-00178 (D. P.R. 2012).
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing all Bankruptcy-related matters in Puerto Rico for major Stateside factoring services financial entity.
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing all Bankruptcy-related matters for the largest oil and gas company in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
- Serve as local counsel advising and overseeing all Bankruptcy-related matters for Puerto Rico’s fastest growing renewable energy company.